Dare to prepare a different dish to enjoy at home and surprise your family with this classic recipe from the Arab gastronomy. An ideal option for people who do not eat meat or want to taste other types of preparations that are nutritious, healthy and delicious. In this note we will give you the recipe to prepare falafel.
What is falafel?
Falafel is a dish of Arab gastronomy, made from chickpea and one is formed kind of croquette, is a classic of traditional Middle Eastern cuisine. There are some regions of the East, such as Egypt, where falafel is prepared only with broad beans, both versions can be accompanied by yogurt sauce and pita bread. It is served as an appetizer along with salad, hummus sauce or of tahini (sesame sauce). The word “falafel” comes from the Arabic word “filfil”, which means pepper.
Regarding its origin, some versions state that it is a dish that was born in India, when a type of spicy bread was cooked; in another version, there are those who affirm that it was the ancient Egyptians who began to consume it, although the base of the dish was he thinks it was the beans.
Something characteristic of this arabic cuisine classic It is that the broad beans and chickpeas are not cooked, they are only soaked for their preparation. In Israel, Egypt and Palestine, falafel is already a national dish, it is a kind of street snack in many of these regions, over time it has become popular, making this preparation one of the favorites for vegetarians. Here we will give you a simple homemade recipe. Take note!
- 1 ½ cup chickpeas
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup coriander
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 100 gr of breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil.
How do you prepare?
- For preparation start from a night before. In a container, place a cup of chickpeas along with a tablespoon of baking soda and add enough water to completely cover the chickpeas and let them soak overnight.
- The next day, remove the excess water and place the chickpeas in a food processor or blender, add onion and garlic, cilantro, parsley and half a cup of water. Blend until all the ingredients are integrated.
- Remember that the chickpeas are raw, so check that your processor or blender has a high power. You can divide the mixture and process in two parts, if necessary add more water to make it blend faster.
- Once you get a paste, place it in a container, add salt, pepper, bicarbonate of soda, cumin, breadcrumbs, mix very well and you will have a more consistent paste. If necessary, add more breadcrumbs. Take to the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- After the refrigeration time, begin to form the croquettes and reserve in a container.
- In a frying pan, add enough oil and when it is ready, introduce the croquettes until they are evenly cooked. Remove and reserve on absorbent paper.
- Ready! You already have a classic dish, accompany it with a little salad and yogurt sauce.
Collected by Cookingtom
I’m Brian Danny Max, a chef and a writer at cookingtom.com. I’m here to talk about food and cooking, and to share some of my favorite recipes with you all! I’ve been interested in food and cooking since I was a child. My parents are both great cooks, and they taught me a lot about the kitchen. I’ve been cooking professionally for about 10 years now, and I’ve loved every minute of it! I specialize in healthy, flavorful recipes that are easy to make at home. I believe that anyone can cook a delicious meal, no matter their skill level. I’m here to help you learn how to cook, and to show you that it’s not as difficult as you might think! I hope you’ll check out my blog and my recipes, and I look forward to hearing from you!